Thursday, January 28, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

The one piece of social media I've always avoided is Twitter. I just can't grasp a hold of it.

But, my for English grade, I will be brave. And into the Twitter world, I will venture.


Grable, Rori. "Bilbo Adventure". via photobucket.
First, I explored through Physiology (my major) feeds, and found one titled Physiology News.
  • What is going on here
    • This account has been active for almost six years, and always posts links to new medical and physiological findings. Although it has over 6k followers, there is not a lot of interaction happening. At most, other twitter users retweet the post. For the most part, the account only redirects people to other sources, but does not talk or give opinions.
  • Top Two
    • This tweet shares a link to a story from Tucson High School! It explains the impact an anatomy and physiology teacher is having on her students by encouraging them to engage with the material instead of just blatantly memorizing facts.  Although there was not any discussion going on, I am certain the curriculum of science courses is discussed somewhere. I will be sure to look into that through other sources and social media!
    • This tweet caught my attention because it shares a link to an article on how teenagers who are sleep deprived have more difficulty dealing with stress. And, I mean, is that not the story of my life? Again, there was no discussion occurring, but I think that is due to the nature of Twitter. 
  • Judgement Time
    • The twitter feeds on Physiology are pretty much what I expected them to be. Tons of information is being shared, but there is not a lot of discussion. 
    • However, I did expect to see more articles or tweets relating to the education side of physiology, but I only saw a few mentions of that. 
    • Overall, I think the Physiology accounts are rather serious and heavy on reading. I would not look at these tweets during casual down time, but rather during "lets learn some cool stuff" time.

Then, I moved on to a Pediatric (my career goal) feed titled Medscape Pediatrics.
  • What is going on here
    • This account is almost seven years old and have over 14k followers. There is minimal discussion here, people who retweet the posts are usually just self promoting. Like the Physiology account, this one also shares many links to articles relating to Pediatricians and Pediatric practices. 
  • Top Two 
    • This tweet shares an article on how dogs help children who deal with anxiety. I was immediately interested in this because I love dogs, they have a special place in my heart, so I wanted to learn more about how wonderful they are. The article gives information on studies that are being conducted and expresses a hopeful note that more studies will arise. This is an interesting topic I might explore further.
    • This tweet takes us to an article that kinda broke my soul. It provides recent statistics on various topics such as
      • which physicians experience burnout
      • the common causes of burnout
      • what biases they hold towards patients
      • does bias affect treatments
      • what contributes to these biases
      • which physicians are happiest in and out of work
    •  For the mot part, these statistics were depressing to look at, especially since about half of the Pediatricians surveyed reported experiencing burnout and unhappiness. Since I am considering this job field, I will definitely be looking into this topic more.
  •  Judgement Time
    • This account offers a lot of articles and information, but a lot seem to come from the same sources, so it does not provide the best picture of what is happening in the field. 
    • There is rarely any discussion on this feed, probably because Twitter is not the idea social media for in depth discussion. 
    • Overall, this account is a bit serious and likes to look at social aspects on the field, not just the new findings and experiments.


Now that I am on the other side of that Twitter journey, I realize Twitter is not the ideal place to search for issues or controversies relating to my major or my potential job field.


 But I did find new topics I would like to explore further!

Do you agree Twitter is not the best place for these subjects? Or am I looking in the wrong sections of Twitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment