Sunday, January 24, 2016

Course Projects

I hope to someday become a doctor. Throughout my conversations with doctors, med students, and teachers, the concept of time managament and careful planning is always brought up.
To succeed in this class, I have to start thinking about those two things already.

Unsplash. "Stopwatch". 4/16/15 via pixabay. Public Domain Dedication License.
What are you most confused by or nervous about in regards to the four main projects?
I am nervous about how I am going to manage to do everything! Time management is going to be absolute key to succeeding in the class and creating good projects.
I am most concerned about how much more emphasis is placed on the final project section of the grade and how much less emphasis is placed on the production section as the semester progresses. This means I will have to carefully plan my decisions so I save the genres I think I will be best at for the end.
Also, I am not too tech-savvy so there is a very real possibility that the production stage of all my projects are going to slightly drive me insane. 

 What are you most interested in or excited by in regards to the four major projects? 
I am excited to explore new genres! I have never made a podcast, quick reference guide, or a video essay before. I feel like there is a lot to learn, and more importantly, the skills I will acquire as I work through the projects will be beneficial in the long run. :)
Also, I get to learn more stuff from the field I want to go into! 

What are the elements of this course that you have to plan ahead for? How will the coursework challenge your time management skills this semester?
The one thing I am absolutely positively sure of is that I must give myself adequate time for the pre-production stages! Not doing so is not an option! I need to learn how to use the technology ASAP and figure out how to present the information early in the process.
I need to prepare for a lot of research! And I will need to conduct interviews for Project 2, so it is best to start planning that sooner rather than later, especially since I am a Pre-Medicine student (contacting doctors takes quite a while).
Part of my writing/working process involves waiting until I have huge blocks of time to complete the work for a project. Yep, not going to work here. I need to give myself some time every day. 

How has your past English coursework in high school or college prepared you for the challenges of this course? What skills will you bring into the course with you?
Throughout my experience with Honors/AP English, we did a lot of rhetorical analysis, argumentative essays and speeches, and we always had layers of projects. We never did only one thing at once, which is very similar to this class.
In general, I've done many research projects in school and have researched a variety of topics in order to start projects. I feel confident in my ability to find information. 
Do you have any questions about the four major projects that haven't been answered by the assignment sheets? What do you still want to know?
 @myself, how are you going to manage this?
I am wondering if it possible to switch to a different genre in the middle of the production stage? It will be much harder depending at what point I might want to switch, but if the urge to switch is strong enough, when and how is the best way to do that?

 Wishing everyone the best of luck as the semester embarks!

bykst. "Success". 10/24/15 via pixabay. Public Domain Dedication License.



What project do you anticipate will be the toughest? How are you going to prepare yourself for success?


Reflection: After reading Avalon's post, I have more questions on the in-class schedule. I am not entirely sure if we are going to present our projects or only do the peer review. Either way, it will be fun and will push me out of my comfort zone! David's post brings up the issue of what to ask interviewees to get the best information for Project 2. I have a better idea of what to ask and why I am asking, but I will still need to plan ahead to make sure the interview flows smoothly.
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for wishing us all the best luck. I thought you asked a very good question because I might try to start with a podcast genre then realize I could do better with a video essay. Overall I thought you had a great post, but I think it would benefit by having a picture added to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the emphasis on how interesting the different genres will be to use. I think it will be really interesting exploring the different ways of conveying information in this class. I also agree that planning for these projects is going to be a major key to success.

      Delete
  2. The overall tone of this post is just extremely joyous, it emphasizes excitment to work on and learn from this projects while also introducing yourself. It is all very well blended together in your writing. One particular phrase jumped out at me, "I am nervous about how I am going to manage to do everything!" Probably because I relate to it the strongest, this idea that there's so much to do and a lot of it is very new to me. Video essays, podcasts, quick reference guides are all things I also have never had the chance to explore.

    ReplyDelete