Sunday, March 27, 2016

Editorial Report 9b

One section that I was particularly nervous about was personal statements.

"Notebook". 3/8/16 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain.
I thought it would be interesting to use my own personal statement as an example of this genre, because it will be funner to analyze my own than some random statement. I just wasn't sure how to record this segment or what to say.

Selection from rough cut:

This and this are the rough content (intro and conclusion).

Re-edited selection:

This is the edited segment.


How did the content change? Why do you think the content is being communicated more effectively?
  • I wrote about the personal statement process, specifically how I felt while writing it.
    •  This helps establish credibility and allows for more dialogue/conversation, This helps meet the form requirements.
  • I simplified the two main focuses of the personal statement.
    • I talked about the divison in writing in the medical field early in my rough cut, so I am reminding the audience of this so they can organize the 2 sections and the genres under each section. Since audio is the only form of communication, I think this reminder is effective and allows for greater understanding.
  • I add a bridge before I start reading from my personal statement.
    • This allows for better communication because now the audience actually knows what is going on. They now know I will be reading something first, then analyzing it. This keeps them more engaged.
  • I add analysis of the devices I used when writing.
    • This is extremely important because it is the "so what". I tell the audience what I did and why I did it, which is the purpose of the podcast.
  • I explained that personal statements are kind of a great oddball in the medical field.
    • By telling the audience this, I am showing the uniqueness of personal statements and emphasizing their importance. I think this will get their attention and they will follow this section closely because of this information.

How did the form change? Why do you think the form is presenting the content more effectively?
  • I accidentally added a sound effect between the intro and conclusion of my personal statement. I did not mean to do this tbh, but it worked out!
  • I have added clearer divisions between the segments, but I should still add some kind of sound effect or music to really solidify the transitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment