Sunday, March 27, 2016

Production Report 8b

One genre I am analyzing for this project is the personal statement, which is a portion of an application for medical school.

I thought it would be interesting to incorporate my own experience with this genre, since I just recently wrote one.

I recorded myself reading the introduction and conclusion of my personal statement. I know, its probably awful.

"Microphone" 3/16/12 via pixabay. C00 public domain.

I am unsure to what extent to read from my personal statement or how to incorporate the analysis.

This and this are the raw footage.

This is the content outline portion:
    • I will be sharing the opening and concluding sections of my personal statement. It is still very rough and is 100% going to change a lot by the time I submit it to medical schools, but this is what I have so far.
      • *insert PS intro*
        • In my introduction, I am logical. I lay out the three main reasons why medicine is for me. I am brief because I want to lay out my opinion then spend most of my time further explaining those claims. In the middle, I write about the logistics of why the medical field’s structure fits my personality. I also used imagery and storytelling to explain how some of my personal struggles have made me the person I am today.
      • *insert PS conclusion*
        • The conclusion, I wrap up how I identify as a person. I am slightly more emotional because this topic is something I hold close to my heart, and I truly believe I fit in a place that cares for people. I cannot imagine being anywhere else. I plan on making edits and using more imagery and typical writing devices like allusions and syntax to make the writing stronger.


How did you decide to use form to present your content? How did the conventions influence your choices?
  • I tried to pick nice, short sections from my personal statement, so that way they can fit nicely into the time constraints of a podcast, but still have enough info for me to analyze.
  • I went a bit off script for this section because I am talking about myself, so it is easier to make this section sound like a conversation, which is the goal of the project. 
  • I used a different tone of voice when reading from my personal statement to make it easy to differentiate between the personal statement passages and the podcast content itself.

How did production go? What challenges occurred during process?
  • Well, I was home during the time I was recording myself reading from the personal statement, so I think there may be some noises in the background. I might have to edit those sounds out or re-record.
  • The main challenge with this section was figuring out what portions of my personal statement I was willing to share. I did not want to read too much from it, because it contains personal info and such, so I decided to just go with the intro and conclusion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment