Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage

Now that I have observed verb usage, the next step is to observe how I use tenses of verbs throughout my draft.

"Office". 1/22/14 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain.

This is a table of the verbs and in what tenses I used them.
Most used tense
  • The present tense

Effect Current usage has on draft
  • I think this is a good verb tense distribution because the issue I am examining is supposed to be in the present and have been going on for a while, that is why the past and present tenses should be the most used. Since the issue has not been resolved yet, I do not have as much to say about the future. The verb tense distribution has a sort of urgent and appealing effect on the draft because the audience is given a sense of "wow, this is happening, right now

Do the shifts between tenses make sense and flow?
  • Absolutely. I like to alternate between past and present most because a lot of what has happened with the controversy took place in the recent past, but there are still steps being taken today, right now, in the present. In order to meet the purpose of the assignment, it is imperative that I can incorporate both tenses into the storytelling. Also, in order to give closure, I have tot talk about what the future holds. 

Importance of present tense verb usage
  • This is an important technique to utilize because it brings the reader right to the action and issues surrounding this controversy. No one cares about stuff that happened 500 years ago in their job field as much as something that is happening right now. 

 What do you think of this balance between the three tenses?

No comments:

Post a Comment