Saturday, February 6, 2016

Analysis of my Rhetorical Situation

So, I have chosen a story that interests me. But now, what am I going to do with it? How am I going to approach the project? Wait, what exactly am I doing again?

To continue with the project, I have to consider the writing situation I am in by conducting a rhetorical analysis. If I think of my project as a puzzle, bu completing this analysis, I will have completed the frame of the puzzle.

Braxmeier, Hans. "Pieces of the Puzzle". 7/8/14 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain.

Audience 

  • Pre-Medicine Undergraduate students, Medical Students, Current Medical Residents, Attending Physicians or other health care professionals
  • Consume other media such as: social media (Twitter, Facebook), Medical journals or blogs
  • Demographic factors: mode age range is 18-28, in debt due to medical school costs, difficult to narrow down further due to diversity of students
  • What is important to them
    • Learning about the medical field
    • Gathering information that will aid in career decisions
  • What they value
    • First account stories from primary sources
    • Unbiased analysis of field

Purpose
  • The purpose of this project is to give the audience an account of how professionals in the medical field turn to writing to argue or advocate for causes
  • I want to make the intent, strengths, weaknesses, and biases of the articles and different stakeholders clearer.  
  • It is important for the audience to know the following about the stakeholders
    • all related to the medical field in some way
    • all have a different perspective based on where they are in their career
    • in order to understand their stances, must analyze the situation as a whole
    • setting: hospitals, medical schools
    • time period: recent times, 2000-present
  •  I am slightly worried the audience will not understand some details of the story because they might not be familiar with the regulations at Harborview Medical Center, so I will need to make those details clear.

Author
  •  I bring a unique spin to this rhetorical analysis because:
    • I care about this issue
    • I am critical of accounts, so I always question credibility and the types of appeals people are using
  •  This topic interests me because I am interested in applying to medical school, so the information presented in the story and the analysis of the writing occurring in the field will be beneficial to know.
  • I would say this story is a perfect fit for me because I care about the entire story. I want to learn more about medical resident regulations, maternity leave regulations, how regulations differ with hospitals, and analyze every angle of it. 


What do you think is the most important aspect to keep in mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment