Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Field of Study

Before I keep going, I should take a step back and think about what this project means to me--and how my field of study plays a role in it.

I am a Physiology major and a pre-medicine student at the University of Arizona.

"Old Main". 4/11/09 via wikimedia. Attribution Share-Alike 2.0 Generic.


What Students In My Program Learn

  • How the human body works (molecular through systematic levels)
  • What factors play a role in human health 
  • Lots of science!

Where People Go With Their Degrees
  • Many physiology majors are also pre-medicine students because the requirements align really well. 
  • Most people apply to medical, dental, physicians assistant, physical therapy, and nursing schools, and hopefully get in.
  • The medical field is extremely large, so a solid majority of people who earn this type of degree go into some level of it.

Why Did I Choose This Field?
  • I am actually a double major. I am doing Physiology and Family Studies because I want to be a pediatrician! Or an emergency medicine physician. Or (if I can do it) a surgeon.
  • Throughout high school, I absolutely loved Biology, specifically the physiology and anatomy sections, so it makes sense to major in it. The human body is incredible complex but it makes so much sense and the information is appealing and important. I love it.
  • Why I want to be a doctor is a big question. There are so many reasons. I think the most effective way to sum it up is by saying I am the type of person who needs a purpose. And I don't think there is a better purpose than helping others. 

Important People In The Field
  • Dr. Redmond Burke, M.D. (Cardiac Surgeon)
    • More information can be found here
    • He founded the Congenital Heart Institute at Miami Children's Hospital. He has been the lead surgeon on many first-time surgeries in the hospital, including heart-lung transplants and open tricuspid value replacement. 
  •  Dr. Wirginia Maixner, M.D. (Neurosurgeon)
    • More information can be found here
    • She is leading brain stem implants and separating conjoined twins at Royal Children's Hospital in Australia and is helping bring in many new procedures. 
  • Dr. Jacqueline Pongracic, M.D. (Pediatric Immunologist)
    • More information can be found here
    • She is developing a new method to help young children build tolerance to some allergies. Studies are being conducted.

Leading Academic Journals
    • Where Published
      • Published by Masachussets Medical Society
      • Available online and in print 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment