Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Interviewees on Social Media

Now, I will explore my interviewees' social media presence to get a fuller picture of who they are and how they communicate differently for different purposes.

"Social Media". 2/6/16 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain.

Okay, honestly, I am feeling very low key stalkerish, but whatever, here we go.

Ned Premyodhin

I found him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

  • Social Media Presence
    • Since I am not FB friends with Ned, I am not entirely sure what he has been sharing and posting, but I can see some posts. 
      • Ned posts a lot of personal pictures about his trips and adventures.
      • He also shares links to articles and leaves detailed, thoughtful comments on the subject. 
      • He updates his friends on the big events of his life such as graduation, starting medical school, leaving and entering jobs, etc.
      • Overall, he has a warm, nice, active social media life.
  • Social Media Persona vs. Academia Persona
    • When it comes to discussing important issues, Ned takes a serious approach and writes clearly and effectively.
      • This can be seen throughout his whole article and when commenting on links he shares through Facebook.
      • However, it is important to remember he is also a regular person who jokes around. This social media persona is definitely different than the professional publication persona.
        • He shared a link to a song remix with the comment "hope that play button is 18 because i've been tapping it all night".

Dr. Zoe Cohen

I found her on LinkedIn and mentions of her on Facebook.

  • Social Media Presence
    •  Dr. Cohen seems to generally stay away from media. I was only able to find her on LinkedIn, which is more professional. And even then, that profile is not very detailed. I gathered the following:
      • She posted on her profile she is currently a Physiology professor at U of A
      • She updated some of her interests (molecular biology, research, teaching)
  • Social Media Persona vs Academia Persona
    • I was unable to find publications so I am cannot really compare these personalities.
    • It is evident Dr. Cohen generally stays away from social media though, which is something I could definitely ask about during the interview. 


Do you think I am on the right path to investigating my interviewees? What are you doing differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment