Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Production Report 14a

And here is where the magic happens.

I wrote everything in one go, without stopping or editing. This truly is in all ways, completely raw.

I have produced the introduction from my content outline. I feel good about it now, but I will probably end up making a lot of corrections to the tone, word choice, and direction. But, this is what I have now.

"Laptop". 5/21/14 via pexels. CC0 Public Domain
Content Outline
  • Talk about how I supposedly had tested out of English with AP
  • I've always considered English o be my strength
    • my stories were always chosen as the examples for elementary school 
    • friends and old tutees continue to ask me to peer review their writing
    • it was the academic strength I brought to my friend group
  • English has always been the subject that required me to analyze and think emotionally rather than logically in some ways, so it has definitely stood out as a subject
  • I think I learned more in this class than I have in other English classes 
  • I like how it is more focused on communication instead of literature analysis
  • I have picked up and strengthened skills

Raw Material

Allow me to paint a picture. I existed as a young, aspiring, over-worked but hopeful high school senior not too long ago. It was a fantastic time, kind of. I had finished my testing and finals, and I knew the year before, I earned a 5 on the AP English test. "You won't have to take English in college", they said. "You're such a good writer Bianca, I never doubted your abilities", they said. English was the subject I most fondly remember from school, because it always clicked. Rhetorical analysis, argumentative presentation, styles of writing, poetry, creative writing. So then, life went on as normal. I opened at work most summer mornings, spent too many nights out, didn't think about school. Orientation came along and my counselor placed that simple paper in front of me--a list of requirements. "Oh, there must be a mistake", I said. "I've already tested out of English". "No, you still need to take 109, and you should take it in the Spring", he responded. I've always valued honesty, so I am just going to say that I was not happy. I had been mentally checked out of the English word for what I thought would be forever. And here I was, being pulled back in. Nevertheless, I got over it, and I began to grow slightly excited. And now that the semester is coming to an end, I am realizing how much I have learned and how many skills I have acquired. I enjoyed the fact that this class is heavily based on communication and research in the writing process. It was different in its own way. There are many aspects of my writing process that have improved, both externally and internally.

How did you decide to use form to present the content? How did the conventions of the genre influence your choices?
  • I think this paragraph is an appropriate length for an introduction, so I focused on keeping my thoughts to that length.
  • I tried to vary my sentence length so that the content did not sound boring and monotone.
  • Essays are supposed to have some kind of hook or interesting beginning, which I tried to do through storytelling.

How did the production of raw material go? What kinds of challenges, successes, epiphanies occur during the process?
  • Production of raw material for this project is definitely the easiest of all the projects. This is probably due to the genre and content.
  • One success is that I am on track with my production schedule! This is a first for the production reports.
  • Another success is that I just let my raw content be raw. With other projects, I thought my raw material was going to be too bad for public sharing, but now I feel like that's fine.
  • One challenge is that it took me a while to get started because I did not really know what to say. Intros are always hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment