Sunday, April 3, 2016

Reflection on Pre-Production

As always, this week has been somewhat exhausting. There is always so much to do.

Found on pinterest.
Same, Chris.

I feel like pre-production week is among the heaviest because I have to pick a topic, do extensive research, and organize everything.

In the end though, the effort put into this week always makes it easier to continue the project over the following weeks.

With that said, it's time for my favorite activity-- reflection!

What were some successes?
  • Well, it's Sunday at noon, I am not stressing too much about this week. This is a first.
  • I was able to plan out production week and have some buffer room in case something happens.
  • I have fully realized this project will be the most difficult for me. The video essay editing and software I will have to use are going to stress me out, there is no doubt about this. But knowing this enables me to be more prepared.
  • I pinpointed issues that are important to me and learned a bit more about myself.
  • I realized I have gotten better at organizing blog posts, hyperlinking, and creating outlines. Woohoo for these skills

What were some challenges?
  • Time!!!! I can never have enough of it. I always have a lot to do and with projects like these, I want to have enough time to just sit and think through my options. I felt rushed to pick a topic and complete everything. It wasn't a fun experience.
  • Picking a topic!!! I did not expect it to be this hard. I had a lot of fantastic options to chose from, but I just...couldn't. I wanted to do them all, and it was hard to choose.
  • Making the production schedule was difficult, because I realized how much I have to do and how little time I have. It's mildly upsetting. But at least I'm organized about it now!

How do you think next week will go, based on your experience this week?
  • I think next week's success is dependent on how I stick to the production schedule and how early I begin finding still images. I think the filming will occur later in the week just because it is more difficult and I still have to think more about what still image:video balance I want.
  • Next week will run smoothly though, because I know what my topic is and what I want to accomplish.
  • It will still be difficult because I will have to make more creative choices on how to structure the video essay. And I'm pretty bad at making these decisions.

How are you feeling about the project overall at this point?
  • I'm excited!!! (like, three exclamation points excited)
  • Fun fact, I used to want to be a writer/director/photographer. I used to make "movies" that were somewhat like video essays. I'm excited to pick that up again. 
  • I feel like I haven't had the chance to be this creative and to just create stuff in my previous English classes. It is refreshing to do things besides writing essays.
  • I am fully aware that this project will be difficult, but I also know it will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment