Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Production Report 14b

Producing raw content from a content outline has me feeling like that episode of spongebob where he stares at a paper for a long time without knowing what to do, then ends up just writing "the". I mean, same.

"Spongebob essay" found on Tumblr.
But nevertheless, I got it together, so here is another report from a different section of my outline.

Content Outline
  • Content and effort
    • Main Idea: The content of each project I have completed has become progressively narrower and has changed my writing process.
    • Evidence: I started with the QRG, then podcast, then video essay
      • What it proves: I was most comfortable with QRG because it is similar to writing, less comfortable with podcast because I could kind of hide, and least comfortable with the video essay. I gradually opened myself up as a writer and personalized my projects as the semester progressed. 
      • Why important: It shows I have become more comfortable in my communicating skills and am open to trying new things.
    • Evidence: I started with a university, then my university, then a section of my university.
      • What it proves: I have learned the art of narrowing a subject and thoroughly analyzing it to zoom out into the bigger. I usually like to start big, go small, go even bigger. It's a weird process, but I make it work. 
      • Why important: I am changing my writing style in slight ways that I am thought were written in stone already. My stubbornness has been broken.

Raw Material

One of the most evident changes in my writing style has been the content and the overall technique. Throughout the semester, I became more confident in my communication abilities, which is shown in the genres I chose. I started with the QRG, which was very similar to the type of writing I did in high school, it was very text heavy. Then, I moved onto the podcast, which was in its own way text heavy, except then I had to record it. Next, I tried the video essay, which required more commitment and a developed style. This slow yet effective progression of involvement in my projects allowed me tp notice which areas I was strong in (content, creativity, details) and which areas I lacked in (volume, authority). So as my creativity in projects increased, the content and topic I chose narrowed. For project 1, I wrote about issues the residents at the University of Washington were having. For project 2, I wrote about writing in the medical field, specifically at the University of Arizona medical school. And for project 3, I proposed for some solutions to the issue of voluntourism. I modeled my solutions after the structure of the U of A's MedLife chapter, which I observed during my trip. One issue I have seen present in my writing throughout the years is that I tend to pick large subjects, then have a lot to talk about, which makes my projects longer. In general, I much prefer slightly broader topics because it allows me more freedom to choose what to talk about and emphasize. I write the way I like to photograph. I will start with a big picture, then zoom into the details, then zoom out again to reveal the larger significance. I am probably doing that with this paper right now as well. But as the projects for this class progressed, I found myself needing to pick smaller topics with a specific context that I could analyze. Because of this, my writing style became more specific to the situation. Although it seems like a tiny change, this is a significant experience for me, because I usually don't change certain aspects of my writing style, like the way I center the content and message. In some way, I have grown to feel comfortable with different styles and smaller topics, which leads to different uses and types of writing. These skills will be beneficial in both my academic and personal life.


How did you use form to present content? How did the conventions of the genre influence choices?
  • I tried to structure this paragraph using the PEA format. This is when you present a point, then include evidence, and write analysis to support. It is very similar to the AP writing way, which means it is effective, but not as creative as it can be.
  • I varied sentence length and included transitions to add some flow to the paragraph.
  • I mostly wrote in a confident/reflective tone to get my message across.

How did production go? What challenges, successes, epiphanies occurred during the process?
  • Producing this paragraph was more difficult than producing the introduction.
  • I feel like I have less room to be creative or to use a fun tone in this paragraph, because I am reflecting and explaining my areas of growth. I don't see a more creative way to do this.
  • One success is that I have identified the areas I want to talk about and reflect upon.
  • But at the same time, I do not know if I am headed in the right direction.
 

1 comment:

  1. Over all you did a great job with this paragraph, much better than I did with mine. The varying sentence structures certainly plays in your favor. I agree with some of your concerns. The paragraph feels kind of strange because its all about you but the tone doesn't feel like you. It's very informational and almost impersonal, which is strange because the information is very personal. I would deffinitely have to go by Bottai on this, but I think we are allowed to use more personal tones because we are writing about our selves. But I was impressed by you paragraph and I want mine to be as logically laid out as yours is. Well done.

    ReplyDelete